Grammatical support tools allow people who experience difficulties with their grammar to make their computing and writing much easier. Grammatical support can benefit even the most seasoned writers! Software for grammar correction and support is designed to run in the background and monitor grammar as the user writes. Grammar learning aids contains programs designed to actively improve the grammar of the user.
Want to learn more about grammar support tools? Ottawa Network for Education created videos for students who are interested in learning about or starting to use technologies for reading, writing and other school work. To learn more about grammatical support tools, visit Ottawa Network for Education’s website to watch a videos titled ‘AT Tools for Writing,’ ‘AT Tools for Editing,’ and ‘Tools for Writing and Editing.’
Questions to consider when choosing grammatical support tools
- What languages does it support?
- What additional support would you want to be included in the tool? E.g., spell checker, punctuation checker, dictionary, etc.
- Can you easily turn the tool on and off as required?
- Does it need to work with other technology? (e.g., word prediction software, on-screen keyboard, text-to-speech) Are there programs that have the combination of these features?
- Is the functionality easy to use?
- Does the user need access to multiple computer systems? If so, consider options (e.g., software on a USB key, software with multiple installations per license, online or built-in options, etc.)
- Is it compatible with your computer or device’s operating system?
- What applications can it support? (e.g., compatibility with which internet browsers) Is it an add-on, built-in to existing programs, or a separate software?
- What type of built-in tutorial are available? What other supports are available for users?
- Is there a trial period or demo copy for testing out the software?
- How will you get support if you need it? (e.g., a technician in the school, a local vendor, by telephone, by email, remote access, etc.)
- How much do upgrades cost? Is there any software management agreement or upgrade package that can be purchased?
- What is the payment method? (e.g., purchase, pay per use)?
Manufacturers of Grammar Correction and Support Tools
Links are provided for information purposes only. SNOW does not endorse any of the following software or hardware.
- Microsoft Office
- Linguisoft – Grammarian PRO2 X (Mac)
- Editor Software – StyleWriter (Windows)
- WhiteSmoke Inc. – WhiteSmoke (Windows, Android, iOS)
Manufacturers of Grammar Learning Aids
Online / Free / Open Source Software
- After the Deadline
- GrammarCheck.net – Online grammar support tool
- Slick Write
- WhiteSmoke Inc. – WhiteSmoke Toolbar (Windows and Mac)
- Word Web Software – WordWeb (Windows)
On English Grammar Blog, see articles titled: ‘Choosing the Best Grammar Correction Software’ and ‘Online Grammar Resources’