When educators are placed in challenging situations without the necessary supports (e.g., information, expectations, strategies, etc.), the experiences can be less than optimal for both the educator and the student. Individuals with autism spectrum disorder often require specific consideration in the classroom. This workshop is designed to familiarize educators and support staff with what these considerations might look like and how best to support these students.
This workshop covers the following areas:
- The AODA and its implications in the school environment;
- Autism spectrum disorder including characteristics, deficits, and strengths;
- Teaching implications of various characteristics of students with autism spectrum disorder;
- Approaches and strategies for working with students with autism spectrum disorder; and
- Applied behavioural analysis overview, components, and strategies.